08 October 2009

Why Euskara? Why Català?

Whenever I tell people that I am studying two languages, they usually guess either: Spanish, German, Japanese or Russian and when I tell them it's actually Euskara (Basque) and Català, they usually give me a blank stare (because they have no idea what it is) or a confused look (because they have no idea why I would want to learn it).

There's actually a short and a long answer for each language. So let me start with the short answers first:

Euskara: because I am Basque
Català: because I am Catalan

And here are the long answers:

Euskara: One of the first words I ever learned in Euskara was, euskaldun, which means "Basque" although literally it means "Euskara-speaker". When I thought about it, I realised that the Basques define themselves by the language they speak. The word for the Basque Country (at least the ones including Nafarroa/Navarra and Iparralde/French Basque Country) in Euskara is Euskal Herria which means "land of Euskara" reflects the focus on the language even more. So with that in mind, I came to the conclusion that blood was no longer enough, at least not for me. I had already missed out on a lot of the culture by the fact that I was not born there (nor was my father or my grand-father or my great-grandfather) and, to this date, have not had the opportunity to go there, so I wanted to learn the language to strengthen my ties to my Basque heritage.

I also felt that Euskara was my birthright. I felt quite cheated that I had grown up not even knowing it existed up until I was bored one day and did a Wikipedia search on Hondarribia (Fuenterrabía in Spanish), the town where my Basque ancestors where from, and browsed around up until I found out about this language called Euskara. So that's the main driving force behind my desire to learn Euskara. I feel like my early ancestors who migrated to the country of my birth, in their desire to assimilate into the culture or for one reason or another, did not keep their original language of Euskara alive and I want to bring that back.

Now, as for Català, it started out quite differently.

Català: Although I had always known I was Basque, it took a while longer for me to realise that I was also Catalan. I remember that it was actually my love for FC Barcelona (my second team, behind Athletic Bilbao, of course!) that first placed the idea of learning Català into my head. I wanted to be able to converse in it should I ever be lucky enough to meet the likes of Carles Puyol or Xavi (I did get to see them a few months ago when they played against LA Galaxy but sadly, I don't think Puyol heard me shouting, "Puyi! Em dones el teu braçalet?" -Puyol, can you give me your armband?-). Of course, I knew that if I wanted any chance at successfully learning the language, I would need a better reason than that. It was then that I decided to contact my Abuela (grandmother) and ask her about her side of the family. I had a suspicion that her side might be Catalan although I knew that her father was from Salamanca. After a few months, she finally confirmed that although by birth my great-Grandfather was indeed from Salamanca, by blood he was Catalan.

So once I had confirmed that I do have Catalan blood running through my veins, I decided that it was also my birthright to be able to speak in Català... and frankly, that's reason enough to want to learn it.

4 comments:

  1. Euskaditik indarra eta gogoa bidali nahi dizkizut euskara ikasteko prozesu horretan izan ditzazun beti.
    Zorionak!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eskerrik asko. Estoy en un nivel bastante bajo de euskara así que me costó entender tu comentarío. (La palabra ditzazun no aparece en mi hiztegia...) Pero creo que lo he entendido un poco. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditzazun = para que los tengas ;). "Desde Euskadi te quiero enviar fuerza y ganas para que los tengas siempre en ese proceso de aprendizaje del euskara. Felicidades!!"

    (Just discovered your blog. It's really interesting, and I'm reading everything with great interest. I hope you don't mind my late discovering... I truly am oblivious -.-')

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Maite

    Thanks for the translation! I'm glad to know I got the gist of it... más o menos. :)

    I'm glad to get more readers! I do hope more people find out about this so more can benefit. I see this as my little way of helping promote the languages. Hopefully, as I learn more, I'll be able to do more.

    ReplyDelete