22 October 2009

So you want to learn Català...

A few weeks ago, I posted on the different methods you can use to learn Euskara and now I thought I would do the same for Català. I am currently not using any specific program as I find that since I speak Spanish, I can already understand around 35%-50% of Català. I do intend on using a program later on though as I fall under the category of people who actually like learning grammatical concepts.

  • Català in Catalunya - Like with Euskara, this option is also the most expensive option, however, you will have the benefit of a total immersion into the language as well as the culture. Clicking on the link will send you to the webpage of Intercat and listed there are at least 10 universities in Catalunya that offer a course in Català.
  • University courses - When I was first searching for more information on learning Català, I happened upon the website for CARLA (Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition) and through that site, I was able to find about 10 universities in North America that offer courses in Català. As far as I know, all courses are in-campus only.
  • Intercat - It's a great online resource and although it is target more for students visiting universities in Catalunya, it also offers tools for independent study as well as tips on learning the language. [This site seems to be a goldmine of fantastic resources and I plan on going through them more this winter break and I'll be sure to go into more detail about it in a separate entry.]
  • Self-study books - There are a few self-study books out there written for people who want to learn Català. I am currently using one of the most commonly (and highly) recommended books out there called, Teach Yourself Catalan: A Complete Course for Beginners by Alan Yates. Aside from that, I have also been pointed to course of books called Digui, digui [note: thanks to commenter, Jim, I've found out that Digui, digui is completely in Català]
  • Articles/Shows - Although I'm the sort who enjoys learning about the grammatical concepts in a new language, I also enjoy just jumping into it and immersing myself through reading in it or listening to it being spoken. As I am unable to just hop on to a plane and land in Barcelona, I make do with a variety of resources online. I tend to check out articles on Avui, an online newspaper in Català as well as articles and interviews on FC Barcelona's website. I don't always fully understand what is going on but with the help of my diccionari, I get by. I also go to TV3 to watch videos of shows in Català (being a huge Barça and just all around footie fan, I love this program called Crackòvia) and although this is quite harder to understand because of different accents among other things, it's also a great way to pick up some words and phrases here and there.
I find that when it comes to learning languages, it's best to use more than just one method. In my case, I find that limiting myself to just one method would be to ensure boredom and eventual lack of interest. This is why I set myself a buffet table of different methods and I pick and choose which ones work best for me and which ones I feel like making use of, depending on my mood and the time I have to spend.

I plan on compiling a list of resources along with links on where to find access/find them. I'll definitely separate them into two entries: one for Euskara and one for Català.

4 comments:

  1. There is also 'Teach Yourself Colloquial Catalan', which I think is as good as 'Teach Yourself Catalan'. It is at about the same level so will broaden your knowledge. Also because it is colloquial, it uses mostly the familiar form of 'you' and it is good to get used to this as this is what virtually everyone uses in all situations in Catalonia. The polite form seems to be dying out.
    About Digui Digui, it is good, but it is all in Catalan (no English explanations). This shouldn't really be a problem for non-beginners like you, but I just thought I would mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Isabel!

    Take a look at this book, it's not very expensive and it is intended for Spanish speakers who wish to learn Catalan.
    I cannot copy the URL, so I tell you the book references:

    CATALÁN DE CADA DÍA (Book + CD), Editorial Pons (9,90 €)

    I could try and look the contents myself if you wish (I have seen it somewhere) and tell more details about it.

    BTW...another series that you might like and that reflects current Catalan: look for "Arròs covat" on the net!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jim: I was just able to get a copy of a book called "Colloquial Catalan: The Complete Course for Beginners" [Tony Ibarz and Alexander Ibarz]- is that the one you were referring to?

    Ah, I thought so... Thanks for confirming it. I was just about to suggest that to a friend of mine who doesn't speak any other language other than English so I guess I'll tell her about "Colloquial Catalan" and "Teach Yourself: Catalan" instead.

    @ Anna: Thanks! I was able to find the ISBN number for it and although right now, it's not available on my usual sources for books outside the USA, I'll keep an eye on it. I found it on fnac.es but at 12,38€ for shipping to the USA, it becomes impractical.

    I've heard about this program at Parla.cat that's free (or 90€ with an online tutor) and I'm going to sign up for it once they answer my question regarding an ID Document (I have no idea what NIF and NIE mean and I don't feel comfortable putting in my passport ID#). Do you know about the program?

    I'm now browsing through episodes of "Arròs covat" on the TV3 page. I've got my dictionary ready just in case. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isabel, try www.difusion.com, go to tab "Pons Idiomas" and then tab "Idiomas", and select "Català" from the drop-down menu. There you will find two books, the one I told you about yesterday and another one. I just clicked the shopping cart and it seems that in the drop-down list "País de envío", the USA appears. I do not know if it is impractical or not, but I just thought I would tell you :)

    ReplyDelete