08 October 2009

So you want to learn Euskara...

When I finally decided that I was serious about learning Euskara, I decided to search for a way to learn the language while at the same time not have to resort to eating ramen noodles for the rest of my life. I decided to do a little research into the methods people use to learn Euskara and here are some you can try out:

  • Euskara in the Basque Country - This could very well be the most expensive option for people living outside of the the Basque Country, however if you choose this route you will have the benefit of a total immersion into the language as well as the culture. Unfortunately, I cannot provide a single link that features all the euskaltegiak (Basque Language Centers) that accept foreign students. Once I do find it, it will be posted here.
  • University Courses - As far as I know, there are only two Universities in the United States that offer courses in Euskara. The first is Boise State University, which offers a Basque Studies Minor and Certificate and the the second is the University of Nevada,Reno, which offers a Basque Studies Minor both in-campus and online.
  • BOGA program - BOGA is an online program created by the Eusko Jaurlaritza (Basque Government) designed to teach adults Euskara and to provide them with a knowledge base sufficient enough to pass the EGA (Euskararen Gaitasun Agiria)- which is a proficiency test and mandatory for anyone who wishes to work for the Basque Government. The BOGA program is, compared to the first two methods, quite affordable as the current tuition is $50 per semester.
  • Self-study Books - There are a few books out there designed to help students learn Euskara and they range from the simple, Beginner's Basque by Wim Jansen to the more complex, The Basque Language: A Practical Introduction by Alan R. King. When I first started learning about Euskara, a number of people have told me it would be sheer madness to try and learn it by myself however I don't think it would be wise to discredit all of the self-study books. I think that some could be used a great introduction to the language, especially if you are not completely sure if you want to seriously pursue it or not and it can also be used to supplement your current program.
I am currently making use of the BOGA program as my main resource for learning Euskara. I chose it as the $50 per semester along with the online access was a great fit for me because it wouldn't burn a big hole in my wallet and it wouldn't require me to have to lose time for work as I can easily do it during my free time.

The program itself is entertaining as it is filled with interesting sketches, exercises and tests. However, it also has its flaws, the major one being its propensity for crashing for a few days. I also find that the explanations in English sound quite unnatural at times, as if it were translated into English by a non-native speaker and although that can easily be ignored, it can sometimes cause a bit of confusion. But I firmly believe that even with those flaws, it can be a very valuable tool.

I am also studying Euskara through a book called Bakarka I: Método de aprendizaje individual del euskera by J.A. Letamendia. This teaches Euskara (or Euskera as it is called in Spanish) through the medium of the Spanish language. I find that whenever there is any concept or grammatical rule that I cannot quite understand when explained in English, I need only read it in Spanish and it suddenly becomes clear.

6 comments:

  1. Isabel,
    Me tope con tu blog por casualidad! Me parece genial que quieras aprender Euskera! Como van tus cursos? A mi me parece fenomenal el Euskera pero no se nada!! Tengo muchos amigos Vascos y me gustaria poder conversar con ellos en su lengua!!

    pancho lopez en Miami

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Pancho:

    Mis cursos de euskera me van muy bien. He tomado 2 semanas de descanso y ahora vuelvo con mis estudios. Es un poco difícil pero muy interesante y me encanta mucho.

    Si te gustaría aprender euskera, te recomiendo la programa BOGA. Me sirve bien y además es muy útil para aprender euskera fuera del País Vasco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que casualidad que me he encontrado a un blog de una filipina que esta estudiando euskera tambien, ¡gracias por la busqueda "basque filipino" en Google! Me he descubrido la riqueza que tiene este idioma, y como este idioma tiene una gran parte de la historia filipina. Just want to tell you I am following your blog and am very inspired! Huwag mo rin sanang kalimutan ang Tagalog.

    Eskerrik asko!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jim:

    ¡Hola kababayan! Es así como he encontrado muchas páginas sobre la cultura vasca. :)

    Por cierto, ¿qué usas para estudiar euskera?

    I haven't forgotten my Tagalog but the truth is, I understand it more than I can speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Hola Isabel! Kumusta ka. We are probably related. I am the great grandson of Agapito Zialcita of Tondo, Manila. His ancestors were two Zialcita brothers from the Basque region. I am an avid cook and would like to join you in the journey of experiencing our ancestors' cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Luigi:

    Hi! It's nice to meet you. That's fantastic. Do you know exactly which part of the Basque country your branch is from? If it is from Hondarribia, then that is the same as mine. :)

    By the way, if you are on Facebook, we have a Zialcita group in there that you can join.

    ReplyDelete