23 December 2009

Olentzero and Tió de Nadal

First, let me apologise for the three weeks of silence. Apparently, studying two languages, taking classes at the university, and working can be quite time-consuming... who knew?!

Second, I haven't really had much material to blog about anyway seeing as I've been hard at work trying to figure out the concept of nominalizazioa in Euskara. I have been emailing my teacher, Mireya, back and forth trying to figure out the difference between Nongo, Nongoa, and Nongoak. Unfortunately, the first two translate to pretty much the same thing in English and the third is the plural version. This is one of those concepts that I am not 100% sure I've understood it but as I use it more, it starts to become a little bit clearer.

Third, I think I want to expand this blog and take it beyond just Euskara and Català. I want to include the cultural aspect of the Basques and the Catalans. This would include anything from music to football. The only thing I will be keeping out from this blog (or at least, I will try to as there are times when I will not be able to help but speak out) would be POLITICS because although I enjoy it (I did just switch from Theatre Arts to International Relations after all...) I realise how polarising it can be and how it could turn people off.

Now to the good stuff. Christmas is just a day or two away, depending on where you live, and to celebrate I want to explore different things about the Basque and Catalan Christmas.


[an Olentzero from Hendaia, Lapurdi/Hendaye, Labourd]

[Tió de Nadal]

Growing up, I was raised in a mix of Spanish, Filipino, and some American Christmas traditions but two traditions I did not grow up with are: Olentzero and Tió de Nadal.

Olentzero (I've also seen variations such as: Olentzaro, Olentxero, Onentzaro...)

I first read about Olentzero in a brief one paragraph mention in Mark Kurlansky's The Basque History of the World. In that book, he was described as a "pre-Christian evil sort of Santa Claus who slides down chimneys on Christmas Eve to harm people in their sleep. Fireplaces are lit for the holiday to keep him away."

There are many descriptions and stories of Olentzero and they differ from village to village. Some have him as belonging to the race of the jentilak (giants) who looked up to the clouds and saw in it a sign that Jesus would be born. The other jentilak threw themselves off the cliff, leaving Olentzero behind. There is also another version wherein Olentzero is an orphan who is bestowed gifts by a fairy (an English translation of this tale can be found in Buber's Basque Page).

It was in around the 1950's when Olentzero received a bit of a makeover and the more gruesome aspects of his personality as well as some of the pagan elements were removed. In his modern aspect, Olentzero is slowly starting to look like the Santa Clause of the west (i.e. the one Coca-Cola has seared into our brains for all eternity) rotund, jolly-faced and sometimes with a beard!

On Christmas Eve, an effigy of Olentzero sitting on a chair is carried around the streets as children and adults sing Olentzero carols and ask for food, sweets or sometimes money to be given to a humanitarian cause. At the end of the night, it is sometimes customary to burn the effigy of Olentzero.

Some Basques only celebrate Christmas with Olentzero whereas some do both: Olentzero and the Spanish Reyes Magos (Feast of the Three Kings, celebrated on 6 January).

To wrap up, here's a fantastic Youtube video of an Olentzero kantak. It's set up karaoke-style so you can sing-along! It's a version called Olentzero and performed in the children's program, Txirri, Mirri eta Txiribiton. I was unable to find translations for the entire song but it seems to be a mix of the two carols found in this Wikipedia article.

Also, there is a website dedicated to Olentzero. It comes in four languages (Euskara, English, Spanish, and French) and it is loaded with pictures of Olentzero, people dressed up as Olentzero, celebrations, recipes, and more. It's very interesting although actual articles in English are minimal.

BONUS: Here are some funny Olentzero-related sketches featured in my favourite Spanish-language comedy sketch show, Vaya Semanita (if you can understand Spanish, this is also a funny way to learn a bit about Basque culture and politics). All are in Spanish.

- Olentzero secuestrado
- Olentzero Gandalf
- Olentzero Begins
- Olentzero vs Reyes Magos
- He matado a Olentzero

Tió de Nadal

This is one of those lovely Catalan traditions that I became aware of through the comedy sketch show called Crackòvia. Unfortunately, I cannot find a clip of this sketch on Youtube or on Crackòvia's website. In the sketch, Carles Puyol invites Andrés Iniesta and Samuel Eto'o to his home to make the Tió poop by beating it with a stick. The laughter comes in when a large log, which Eto'o thinks is the Tió turns out to be just the stick that will be used to whack the gigantic Tió outside the house.

The Tió de Nadal roughly translates to Christmas log. In the early days it was quite literally just a rough log which was used to bring heat and light to the home. In a symbolic way it also brought presents of sweets, wafers, and turróns. Now, the image of tió has changed dramatically. It is now a hollowed-out magical log with a painted smiling face, a barretina (red sock hat) on its head and little sticks beneath it for legs.

On 8 December, the tió comes calling on a family's doorstep and the member who goes out to answer the door must care for him by giving him something to eat (dry bread, carob, orange peels or other fruit) and drink (water) each night as well as a warm blanket to keep him from getting cold. It is through the gentle care that the tió is later on able to poop presents.

On Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (depending on the household), the family come around and beat the tió with a stick and sing caga, tió (literally an order to: "poop, log!"). After the order is given, the tió has pooped out a treat that can be found underneath his blanket. The tió never brings large gifts as these are brought by the Reyes Magos. The tió tends to bring sweets such as turrón, wafers, dry figs, and chocolates. When the tió is finished pooping treats, it drops a salt herring, garlic, onion or it simply pees. The beating of the tió with a stick is relatively modern as in the old days they used to stick part of the tió in the fireplace to make it poop treats out.

Here are two different version of songs that one can sing to make the tió poop:

caga tió,
caga torró,
avellanes i mató,
si no cagues bé
et daré un cop de bastó.
caga tió!


poop log,
poop turrón,
hazelnuts and cottage cheese,
if you don't poop well,
I'll hit you with a stick,
poop log!

caga tió
tió de Nadal,
no caguis arengades,
que són massa salades
caga torrons
que son més bons!


poop log,
log of Christmas
don't poop herrings,
which are too salty,
poop turrón
which is much better!

I've also found a cute video one Youtube of two little kids giving the tió a whack with their Mum and also singing a version of the Caga, tió.

BONUS:
Anna, who runs the blog: This curious thing called Catalonia, has written an entry talking about the tió, along with personal pictures and a song. Fantastic stuff!

If anyone knows of any other Basque or Catalan traditions, please feel free to share. Also, if you've grown up with Olentzero or the Tió de Nadal, please feel free to share any personal stories of memorable events and the like. I'll be back later tonight to officially wish you all a Happy Christmas.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Isabel!

    I knew in the Basqueland they had a different tradition for Xmas but I vaguely knew about Olentzero, that was good reading about it :D. By the way...for me the best video Olentzero vs. Reyes Magos (specially tehe "Soy vasco" part was hilarious.

    About el "tió". The gag you talk about rings me a bell, but I can't remember when it was broadcasted. I will let you know if I find it!

    It was curious to see the tió tradition explained from the outside and believe me, I learnt new things, for example, I did not know that on December 8th the tió comes in the doorstep. I just remember that, as a kid I was always eager to have our family tió by the fireside and I was always giving him fruit to eat and that I hit really hard on it singing the 2nd version of the song or...was it a mixture of the 2??? I will have to digitalize old home video sometime or another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna!

    I love that video too! "Vaya Semanita" has some of the best sketches regarding Basque culture.

    Thanks! Someone used to upload to Youtube but her account was suspended. I think TV3 might be filing complaints.

    I read that in Wikipedia. :) I'm curious, is this a tradition only for kids or do adults also do it? I wanted to try doing that with my family this season but my brother commented that at 23, I might be a bit too old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, is mainly for kids, but if adults do it, it can be great fun. I do not do it any longer (we just give each other the presents), but my boyfriend did so at his home last year and he said it was fun. So, convince your brother to give it a try :D.

    I have to leave you...just giving "tió's" presents now: it's 22:20 here so it's high time we should do so...and after that I want to finish my post on...guess what???

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anna:

    That's fantastic! I'm going to really push hard to make sure I get to do this next year... even if I'll be the only one (although I do hope my siblings join in!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Isabel!

    I found the tió's video from Crackòvia :D!

    http://www.tv3.cat/videos/1540989/Especial-10-anys-de-Puyol --> this is the whole programme, the gag begins by minute 6:39. However, tv3 streaming method is not the best one, so I reccomend you see the whole video.

    I also found the gag alone at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWb1cltzXUo
    The video's quality is not very good, but well, "algo es algo" :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna!

    Thanks very much! I've missed that gag so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kamusta Isabel!

    It's really interesting to read about our traditions from the outside, quite weird, lol ^^ But surprisingly accurate ^^ (at least the Olentzero part, I didn't know about Tió Nadal... I'm glad I learned something knew ^^).
    The tradition of the Olentzero doll was originally conserved just in the towns of Lesaka, Oiartzun and Sara (Nafarroa, Gipuzkoa and Lapurdi respectively) and it was a poor and drunkard saithe who came from the mountain to the town with his donkey. I was told that the pagan version is he's a jentil who announces the winter solstice, the christian one (the most widespread) being that he comes to announce the birth of Jesus.

    Nowadays there are quite a lot of disagreements concerning the "Santa Clauseization" of Olentzero, and the "Reyes Magosization" as well (seeing as at the beginning he was just a character of the 24th's festivities and now he's an icon of consumerism, according to some).
    I personnally enjoyed the festivities and the joy of getting presents when I was a child, although I must admit that now the whole present thing kind of disgusts me. Maybe it's just that there're no longer children at home, who knows. Nowadays it's just an excuse to gather all the family and play cards or parcheesi, lol ^^ Also to go out with friends, follow the txaranga (group of people who play traditional tunes, kind of like a local batucada) and get drunk... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Maite:

    I get the same way when I read about some Filipino or Filipino-Spanish traditions on travel blogs. It's quite interesting to see how others view our traditions and our culture.

    I would hate for Olentzero to morph into Santa Clause... already, I've been seeing some pictures of him drawn as a fat, bearded, jolly man with rosy cheeks... and no pipe. I don't know why people want to merge the two together... it's much more fun to have them all separate and enjoy the unique things about each one.

    ReplyDelete