23 December 2009

Eguberri on! Bon Nadal! ¡Feliz Navidad! Happy Christmas!


I hope everyone has a fantastic Christmas!

I've just noticed that when people greet you a Happy Christmas in Euskara, they say: Eguberri on! but if they are greeting you a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year as well, they say: Zorionak eta Urte berri on!

I'm not 100% sure but I think Zorionak eta Urte berri on! = Happy Holidays and Happy New Year whereas Eguberri eta Urte berri on! = Happy Christmas and Happy New Year. In any case, I use both styles.

4 comments:

  1. Zorionak quiere decir "Felicidades"! Por ejemplo si es dia de tu cumpleaños... se te puede decir "Zorionak"!!

    I guess I do know a tiny fraction lol!

    pancho lopez in Miami

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Pancho:

    You're correct! I guess Zorionak is one of those words that can be used to do anything from wish someone a Happy Christmas to just general congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eguberri literally translates to "new day". Egun = day, berri = new, probably refering to Christ's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ José:

    That makes sense now that you mention it. I always did wonder how something that literally means "New Day" could refer to "Christmas".

    ReplyDelete