20 January 2010

Accents: When a J can be a Y and when an A can be an E

A few years ago, I read Barry Farber's How to Learn Any Language. Aside from being filled with a lot of helpful tips on how to study languages, it also included this gem on accents:

"Nobody is arrested for indecent exposure just because he dresses poorly. On the other hand, a person unconcerned about dress will never impress us with his appearance. It's the same with a proper accent. As long as you're going to go through the trouble of learning a language, why not try -at the very little extra cost- to mimic the genuine accent." [Barry Farber]

If there's one thing I'm obsessed about, more so than grammar tables (which wallpaper my room), it's nailing an accent down. I suppose it's because of my training in theatre arts that I have this trained ear for accents but the obsession with it is certainly something I was born with. I have always loved mentally filing away phrases, sentences, and monologues in accents that I found interesting. This would explain why I spend so much time repeating troublesome words out loud, over and over, until I can be sure that I have nailed it. I see correct pronunciation not only as a way to make myself understood better by native speakers, but also as an outward sign of respect for the language itself.

When I decided to learn Euskara and Català, I took some time to explore the different accents and dialacts from each language. Here is a very simplified explanation of what I learned: (it's simplified because even I, who sometimes enjoys a lesson in grammar, can find the entire thing quite tedious)

Euskara: Dialects and Accents

Depending on the source, Euskara has about 6-9 distinct dialects which differ from Batua (Unified Basque):

- Bizkaian
- Gipuzkoan
- Upper Navarrese
- Lower Navarrese
- Lapurdian
- Zuberoan

Of all six, perhaps the one I would be most familiar with would be Gipuzkoan as Batua is based heavily in Gipuzkoan vocabulary. I'm not quite at the level wherein I can identify differences between dialacts however I can identify small differences in the way certain letters are pronounced. For example:

- the letter J: according to Gorka Aulestia, the letter J is normally pronounced like a Spanish J, especially in places like Gipuzkoa. However, in Batua, the letter J is pronounced as a Y.

- the letter H: many years ago, particularly in Iparralde, the letter H was actually pronounced like an English H, however this is rarely heard nowadays and in Batua it is silent (as it is in Spanish and French). This would explain why the only time I have ever heard it pronounced was in a program featuring an interview with a very old Basque priest from Lapurdi.

I originally wanted to pronounce the letter J the Gipuzkoan way (I imagine that my ancestors from Hondarribia in Gipuzkoa would have pronounced it that way too... unless Hondarribia had its own now-lost dialect) and for a time I did just that, however, as my main form of studying Basque is taught using Batua, I have slowly ended up pronouncing the J as a Y.

Here are some samples you guys can listen to:

- Andoni Iraola (football player for Athletic Club) in a press conference. He has an interesting accent that I'm assuming is typical of Gipuzkoa (he's from Usurbil). He also seems to favour phrases such as "baina, beno" and "ba, beno".

- Amaren Alabak. One of the first few songs I listened to in Euskara were songs by Amaren Alabak. If you listen closely, you'll be able to detect nasal tones that are reminiscent of French. Also, I have read that the Zuberoan (or Xiberuan) dialact has one extra vowel: ü

- EiTB.com. I'm not really at the point wherein I can watch a series in Euskara and understand it but I still take time to watch some clips or an episode here and there just so I can get a feel for the language, the accents, and the speed in which people speak it. You can check out shows like Goenkale or Wazemank.

Català: Dialects and Accents

In broad terms, Català in terms of dialect can be divided into two:

- Western Catalan (this would include Valencià, Andorrà, Lleidatà, etc)
- Eastern Catalan (this would include Rosellonès, Barceloní, Mallorquí, etc)

I've read quite a bit about the differences between the dialects but what really catches my attention are the accents. The accents that stand out the most for me are those from Valencia, Lleida, and Mallorca.

I don't quite know exactly how to explain the differences between the accents so instead of trying to bungle my way through a half-baked explanation, I might as well just provide some samples for you guys to listen to:

- Canal 9. This is a channel broadcast in the Valencian language. To my ears, Valencià sounds like Català but with a more distinct Spanish pronunciation. Of course, there are also quite a few differences in terms of grammar as well. (I would have also placed a video of Raúl Albiol giving an interview in Valencià as he has a very intesting accent but since his traitorous move to Real Madrid, I haven't been to keen to listen to him speak, so...)

- Hat Trick Barça interviews Bojan Krkic. Whenever I would hear Bojan give an interview, I always wondered if his accent sounded so different because he might have grown up speaking Català as second language or something like that but a friend later on told me that his accent is typical in the province of Lleida.

- Carles Puyol interview. Like Bojan, Puyol also has a strong accent. In fact, I think the carefully crafted central Catalan accent I'm working in is now mutating into the sort of accent that Puyol has. I listen to his interviews as well as Xavi Hernández's a lot and at times, I end up mimicking Puyol's accent and at time's Xavi's. Compare the real Puyol's accent with the spoofed version created by Jordi Rios in Crackòvia.

- Crackòvia's Rafa Nadal. I know, I know, it might not be a good idea to use spoofs and sketch comedy to illustrate accents because they are so overdone (for comedic effect) but I must point out that in my program for learning Català (the wonderful Parla.cat), the Mallorquí accent of one of the characters is exactly the same as Xisca's. Now that I think about it, the Lleidatà accent of one of the program's characters is also exactly the same as Bojan Krkic's...

18 comments:

  1. WOW! You just touched my favourite subject!!! I am mad about dialects! And even madder since I discovered they were something more than words in school books!!!! I just took a quick look over the post but I'm going to read thoroughly! Dialects, one of the loves in my life :D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Later...

    Your post is wonderful!!!! I enjoyed it a lot.

    In fact I have an idea of doing posts about that in the blog and I am recruiting people willing to speak in their accent in front of the camera (so far I have Andorra, Mallorca, Tàrrega and Tortosa. Well, and some in my area, but these are easy to find hehe).

    I would like to say many things about the post and give you answers! I need time though. By now I will tell you that the main difference between Western and Eastern Catalan is the existance (or non-existance) of the the "schwa" sound (neutral vowel) and the pronounciation or not of "o" as "u" when in unaccented syllables. Basically, Eastern dialects (like mine) would pronounce "schwa" and "o" as "u", but Western won't. My boyfriend is Andorran, so Western dialect, and there are times when I occasionally pronounce words as him or viceversa and it sound completely weird! (I once pronounced "manE" instead of "manA" -schwa in the end-, which is very typical of western dialects in Lleida province and Andorra (exactly like Puyol :P).

    Wow I'm getting entangled. Many thanks for talking about dialects. Lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that was a great post.
    I am just starting to recognise the main Catalan accents myself and this has helped to clarify it even more for me.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anna:

    Thanks! One of the many reasons I can't wait to be fluent in Euskara and Català is so I can finally start exploring the other dialects and fully appreciate their subtle differences.

    I'm trying to get my Catalan accent into a less jumbled version because due to listening to Puyol too much, I don't pronounce the schwa sound but I do turn my O's into U's.

    Ooh, I'm excited about that upcoming blog post of yours! I tried looking for specific accent samples in the internet but they're a bit hard to find.

    @ Jim:

    Thanks! I'm trying to get to learn to identify more accents too, especially in interviews rather than songs as apparently some peoples accents change when they sing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to Annas post on this too.
    @ Anna:
    > so far I have Andorra, Mallorca, Tàrrega and Tortosa. Well, and some in my area, but these are easy to find hehe.

    I am sure my girlfriend from Navas (Bages) would be happy to help, but I suppose this maybe one of the 'easy to find' accents. It would be great if you could get examples from Alguer and Perpignan. I am not trying to make work for you or course ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for writing in my blog. That's been a good idea what you have proposed, and I tried to get the magazines right there.

    Anyway, I've read what you've written about Basque, and I'm very proud our ancient language spreads to international country. I live in San Sebastian, so as you'll know, I live in the capital of Gipuzkoa, quite near Hondarribia ;)

    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's good! I hope you find other great things in English there. :)

    That's fantastic! I've been hearing a lot of great things about Donosti and it's definitely in my list of places I must go to someday.

    You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's an interesting post and I found your blog interesting as well. Thanks for ot.
    I also began to study Euskara. Our teacher is from Navarra and J is also pronounced as in Spanish. As for me, I prefer to pronounce it as Y.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's very interesting to know! I've always wondered what accent dominated in Navarra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Iep Isabel!

    About the accents in Nafarroa, those of the north (Bortziriak, Baztan,...) pronounce J as Y. But a lot of people pronounce it as the spanish J too. (couldn't help but to post a comment, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Isabel,

    I had to post a message because I too am an American with Catalan roots on my mother's side, and I began learning Catalan on my own a few years ago (also Burbank is my hometown and I grew up and lived there up until a few months ago, now I'm in Pasadena).

    I'm still learning, especially since I haven't taken classes. I just read out loud to myself in Catalan and try to make it sound authentic. I've attended Catalan gatherings and have been told my accent is excellent, so I seem to be on the right track.

    I too love accents and I have gotten fairly decent at figuring out where the different Catalan accents come from. My Grandfather was from Mequinensa in the Franja de Ponent (western dialect) and my Grandmother was from Canet de Mar (eastern dialect).

    Tinc alguns amics a Catalunya amb quins estic escribint. Encara tinc que aprendre molt mes, pero al menys estic aprenent. Ja vaig veure que saps parlar espanyol, saps alguna llengua filipina tambe? Es forca impressionant saber parlar mes de quatre llengues!!!

    Salut,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Alex:

    That's fantastic! I must admit I've had to take a break from studying Catalan (though I hope to get back to it this summer) as my classes at PCC seem to be taking up all of my time.

    Does your Mom speak to you in Catalan? Do you use any program/book to learn?

    What Catalan gathering do you attend? I've been trying to look for something like a Catalan club to attend and I did find something called: Casal de Catalans a California and I did send them a message but I never got a reply, so I figured it's not an active group anymore.

    I'm now quite interested in accents from Vic, Moià, and Castellterçol as apparently that's where my grandmother's family are from. It should be interesting. :)

    Sí parlo tagalog també, but I don't use it that much. (Yikes, that totally shows how much I need to work on actual sentence-structures in Catalan. I think it's easier for me to understand rather than speak or construct my own sentences.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Isabel,

    My mom spoke Catalan with her siblings and parents when I was growing up, but she never spoke it to me. My mom passed away 15 years ago, and I recently realized that part of my heritage would die with her if I didn't learn the language. Learning Catalan has given me a connection with my roots that I missed growing up.

    The Casal dels Catalans a California is alive and well. They ussually meet at the big Catalan holidays such as Sant Jordi, Nadal, etc...
    They usually meet at a Catholic Seminary known as the Rancho Dominguez Hills. A pretty decent crowd shows up, many times exceeding 100 people. Next time they have a get together I will mention it here if you want.

    There is also a Casal in San Diego, the Casal dels Paisos Catalans a California. They are a smaller group, but they represent all the Catalan Countries including Valencia, Illes Balears, Catalunya, Catalunya Nord, Franja de Ponent, and L'Alguer. I think currently the members are from the first three, but there are always new members joining. They are very friendly and inviting at this casal

    Here is their web site: http://www.casalppcc.com/

    Salut,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Alex:

    Thanks for the info! I found a lot of interesting links in the website of the Casal dels Països Catalans a California. Do they only have meetings in San Diego?

    I've tried sending another message to the Casal dels Catalans a California and I haven't received a response yet. So, if you know any members of that group, please have them contact me as I'd really love to be a part of it. My email is: euskaltzale[@]gmail[.]com (without the brackets).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Isabel,

    Yes, all the get-togethers for the San Diego Casal are in the San Diego area. I think it's worth the trip sometimes, as they are very welcoming.

    As soon as I know about an upcoming event for the Los Angeles Casal, I'll post it here. Unfortunately I don't really know anyone from this casal, just the San Diego one.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  16. UPCOMING CATALAN CASAL GET-TOGETHER

    Hello Isabel,

    I had promised to remind you when something was about to happen at the Los Angeles Casal. Well this weekend, October 17th, 2010, the LA Casal will be having a Fall picnic.

    The location is the Rancho Dominguez, a Catholic monastary with beautiful grounds.
    The address is as follows:
    18127 S. Alameda St
    Compton, CA 90220
    12 noon to 4 pm

    In the past I've taken the I-5 to the 110 South, then to the 91 East and gotten off the Alameda exit and turned right onto Alameda. Rancho Dominguez will be on the right in less than a mile and the entrance looks like the entrance to a park or large estate.

    I will be there, so maybe I will see you there.

    Take Care,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Alex:

    Thanks for the info! Unfortuntely, I never received an email alert for this comment and so I'm only seeing this comment (I checked this particular post by chance) today. :(

    I sure hope there will be another get-together I join?

    ~ Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Isabel,

    There is another get-together at the Los Angeles Casal, at the same place as the last time.
    I will e-mail you so you get the message.

    ReplyDelete